Naphill Common - Timeline

There is plenty of scope for amateur historians to explore. It seems likely that the common began as two commons, Moseley and Naphill, but its origins are, as yet, largely a mystery. There are stories of drovers, a ghostly lady and a Kibbo-Kift site. There is archaeological evidence of the original common boundary; a registered ancient monument, a Romano-British farmstead; evidence of iron smelting; World War II tank tracks, and numerous other features, all waiting to be investigated.

If you have any information or can help in any way please do not hesitate to contact Trevor Hussey (see contact us.

Other references to Naphill Common can be found here

Date Event
2017, November Fungal Survey with Bucks Fungus Group. See BFG website for full details
2017, October - 2018, May Tree felling Phase 2
2017, January - tba Started work on clearing the ponds. On going (Oct - May each year for the next 5 years)
2016, November Fungal Survey with Bucks Fungus Group. See BFG website for full details
2015, November Great Beech blown down
2015, October Fungal Survey with Bucks Fungus Group. See BFG website for full details
2015, October Juniper cuttings reintroduced
2014, October Fungal Survey with Bucks Fungus Group. See BFG website for full details
2014, Sept - 2015, Feb Tree felling - Phase 1
2014, May Management Plan 2014 10 year Management Plan for Naphill Common produced by FoNC
2013, October Fungal Survey with Bucks Fungus Group. See BFG website for full details
2013, April - July Moth Survey by Neil Fletcher
2013, November Pond Survey by Tony Marshall and Holly Bennett
2012, November Fungal Survey with Bucks Fungus Group. See BFG website for full details
2012, April Tree Survey added to website
2012, November Geology and Soil survey by Jill Eyres
2011, October Fungal Survey with Bucks Fungus Group. See BFG website for full details
2011, July Butterfly Survey by the Butterfly Conservation Society
2011, May History and Archaeology Group (HAG) formed
Founded to research the history and archaeology of Naphill Common
2010, Nov - 2011, Mar The Clumps cleared by Friends of Naphill Common (8 working parties.
2010, October Fungal Survey with Bucks Fungus Group. See BFG website for full details
2010 - 2012 Invertebrates survey. Record of invertebrates found on Naphill Common by Johnh Tyler
2010 Survey of insects by John Tyler
2010 Information Boards erected
2010 Juniper cuttings taken
2009 Fungal Survey with Bucks Fungus Group. See BFG website for full details
2009 Grasses Survey by Angus Idle
2009 Short Invertebrate Survey by M.G. Bloxam
2009 First 'Walk for Health'. These continue every month as a walk
2008 Friends of Naphill Common (FoNC) formed
2004 Survey of the Clumps by Nothhamptonshire Archaeology Society
1999 Book - 'Naphill and Walters Ash: Looking Back at Village Life' by Rex Lever published
1997 Survey of insects
Insect_survey_1997 Survey of Insects on Naphill Common 1995 by Peter Hodge
1996 The Fungi of Naphill Common - a list from Natural England
1995 - 2000 Restoration work started but never finished
1994 Natural England proposed to restore Naphill Common by felling trees and removing scrub
1991 Shard of Roman "mortarium" pottery found in Dew Pond.
1974 Tree thinning carried out by West Wycombe Estate between Forge Road and Mosely Road
1968 Commons Registration Act - Last chance to claim under the Commons Registration Act 1965.
1951 Common declared a SSSI, Grade 1
1948 Map by Wilfrid Smith shows Juniper Forest, Orchids, Buterflies etc.      
1947
Main sewer laid along the Common - Lady's Mile
1939 - 1945 Churchill tanks were tested by Broom and Wade on Naphill and Downley Commons.
1938 The Salvation Army Band from Wycombe played to a large audience on the Common
1928 Arthur Nicholls of Vincents Farm was the last farmer to graze cattle on Naphill Common        
1920 - 1929 Fires among gorse and junipers
1862 Enclosure Award Confirmed
1860 - 1869 Present roads probably laid out
1856 Act of Parliment. Hughenden Parish Enclosed
1856 Naphill Common appears on the Ordance Survey Map of 1856
1853 Application for enclosure
1850 - 1859 Drovers ceased their overnight stops
1850 - 1925 From Victorian times (1850) fairs were held on Naphill Common
1847 Naphill Common appears on the Tithe Map of 1847
1700 - 1820 Encroachment on Naphill Common (18th - 19th Century).
1700s to early 1800s there was a lot of encroachment, with several houses and enclosures on the common, e.g. Heyshams. Many people were fined for encroachment.
1700 - 1899 Drovers used Naphill Common (1700's - 1800's). Likely that Drovers, moving cattle to St Albans or London from as far as Wales, used Naphill Common for pasture and water from the ponds
1566 Elizabeth 1 rides across Common after staying at Bradenham Manor